TRAILS CHANGE! Note that much of the information on this site has not been recently updated.Your experience may not match that of the descriptions on this site. Always have a map and use your judgement before hiking a trail.
Here are some great trails in Central Pennsylvania,
mostly on the Mid State Trail (MST)
Looking for a great, but short, fall foliage hike? Try the Jackson or Skyline Trails.
• Alan Seeger Natural Area - nice, short walk. Ancient hemlocks, pristine natural area
• Allegheny Front Trail - 40 mile circle near Black Moshannon. Nice views, good for camping
• Ironstone Loop - Indian Steps - all-day boot buster, but great variety, views and water. Steps probably not built by Native Americans, but still interesting.
• Jackson Trail - great first hike. Short hike, but nice vistas, easy access. Good sample of ridge hiking.
• Jackson and Skyline Trails - longer version of above, but great view of Mt. Nittany, streams in Shingletown Gap
• James Cleveland Trail - great view and a memorial to James Cleveland, who died in a plane crash. This is 'the other Mount Nittany' which is actually a ridge that runs for many miles.
• Skyline Trail (Mount Nittany Vista) - best view of Mount Nittany from Tussey Ridge; included in "Jackson and Skyline Trails" above
• Mount Nittany - the 'must hike' mountain. Easy access, but very popular. Best view of Happy Valley.
• NEW!—Musser Gap Tract - newly opened public land with a gradual climb. Easy access and plenty of scenery.
• MST - Bald Mountain - nice all-day or two day ridge hike starting from a state park. Good views, rugged area.
• MST - Hairy John's Picnic Area - something different, with good view and not too long
• MST - Indian Wells and Bear Meadows Overlook - best ridge hike and vistas in the area. Rivals best hikes anywhere on the East Coast. Camping available, with views of Bear Meadows Natural Area and Native American history.
Many of these trails are on or near the Mid State Trail, so an MST guide would be very handy.
Taking a hike? Ask questions in Trail Talk
Have photos? Send them in! We'll publish them for you . . .
Please state your name, and tell us your experience. We'll give you full credit, and your friends will be amazed.